Wing and Horizontal Tail Reference Planes.gif
    88.2 KB · Views: 94
  • four-view.gif
    four-view.gif
    156.6 KB · Views: 111
  • CL-84 cutaway.gif
    CL-84 cutaway.gif
    239.8 KB · Views: 95
these picts were used for the kit design, about all of them.

This model have been released 2 years go or so,
Its about to be stocked out

dynavert.jpg

Hi all.

From the Canadair stand, a long time ago....
at le bourget air show
Bye

Attachments

• Scan.jpg
    Scan.jpg
    342.8 KB · Views: 125
Arrg, some doc comes always when the kit is done !

by the way I checked the stock,

I have four last CL-84 boxes.

You know that, if you have doc and suggestion for a kit,
you can send to my direct mail...(renaud@sharkit.com)

Nice, reasonably stable gun platform! I always assumed the wing and horizontal stab tilted together. It was interesting to see how they are, in fact, completely independent, sometimes moving in opposite directions.

It's unfortunate that General Dynamics did not further develop this design, which appears to be as effective as the XV-15.

Interesting footage !
During the drop test, the tanks are noticeably veering inwards, when the first tank is dropped clearance
is relatively small, I think. Looks as if it is due to the strut (or whatever it is) disengaged after the main connection.

Attachments

• drop.jpg
    drop.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 70
The tanks and struts are straight off the late production Canadair Sabres. I seem to recall that the strut came off late to induce a roll away from the centre line of the Sabre. It could have been a problem with a simultaneous tank release on the CL-84, probably a production solution would have been different.

The mixing of wing position, tail position, main prop pitch and tail rotor authority was all mechanical - done with bellcranks and levers. The design process resulted in several patents, and several heart attacks in the Canadair design office. The resulting aircraft was very complex, and prone to single point failures. One aircraft was lost when one prop jammed in pitch. If this aircraft had gone into production, I suspect its early years accident history would have been similar to the early years of the V-22.

Nope, but as it was an actually realised project, I moved it here to te Aerospace section and just added those
posts from the "Canadair/General Dynamics CL-84 Projects" thread, that dealt with the prototypes.
I think, it's a clear differentiation now, the prototypes here and the projects and unbuilt variants there
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,4267.0.html

;)

Bill Walker said:
The tanks and struts are straight off the late production Canadair Sabres. I seem to recall that the strut came off late to induce a roll away from the centre line of the Sabre. It could have been a problem with a simultaneous tank release on the CL-84, probably a production solution would have been different.

Given the strut placement on both tanks, it looks to me like they wanted to make sure either tank did not contact the adjacent tank on release.

_Del_ said:
Given the strut placement on both tanks, it looks to me like they wanted to make sure either tank did not contact the adjacent tank on release.

That probably was the intention, but as the footage shows, it nearly went wrong, as the tank, which was released at first comes
quite close to the other one. Maybe they sould have put the strut on the outer side, I thiink.

Yes, that is what I was trying to say several posts ago. The delayed strut detachment on the Sabre rolls the tank away from the fuselage. The tanks and struts and pylons were off-the-shelf, lying around at Canadair when adapted for the CL-84 prototypes. A production aircraft would have probably modified this.