Register here

Author Topic: Tairov aircraft and projects  (Read 6580 times)

Offline Skyblazer

• Global Moderator
  • CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Re: Tairov aircraft and projects
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2013, 02:46:41 am »
Meanwhile, more OKO-4:

Offline Skyblazer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2013, 03:15:25 am »
And a text:

OKO-4 fighter project

In 1938, plans were made for experimental construction of a very maneuverable single-seat sesquiplane fighter initiated by designer Vsevolod Konstantinovich Tairov. The OKO-4 was a cantilever biplane of very original layout with an M-88 gearless engine. The first copy of the fighter had to be delivered for state trials in December 1938, and the second in February 1939.
Specs (preliminary draft):
  • Maximum speed (at an altitude of 7500 m): 522 km/h
  • Landing speed: 100 km/h
  • Service ceiling :over 12,000 m
  • Climb rate: 8000 m in 7.7 min.
  • Typical range: 600 km
  • Maximum range: 1000 km
  • Armament : four synchronized ShKAS 7.62 mm machine guns with 850 rounds of ammunition,
    or 2 synchronous BS-caliber 12.7 mm machine guns with 250 rounds of ammunition and two synchronized ShKAS 7.62 mm machine guns with 850 rounds of ammunition.
    Under the wings were suspended two bombs weighing 50 kg each.
At the conceptual design stage, an attack version of the aircraft was considered. However, due to the strong involvement of V.K. Tairov's works on the OKO-6 aircraft (the future Ta-3 experimental twin-engine fighter), and with the inability to produce the required M -88 engine at the time, the designer requested that the manufacturing of the OKO-4 be postponed for ten months. Shortly thereafter, the fighter was cancelled while its construction was 40% complete. One of the reasons for stopping work on the aircraft, besides the fact that the workforce was already busy with other programs, was Tairov's understanding of the fact that the OKO-4 would not be able to outperform the serious competition which the Polikarpov I-190 and the Borovkov-Florov I-207 represented, and that it would be hard to be fully consistent with the tactical and technical requirements as defined in the preliminary draft flight characteristics.

Translated from the Dogs of War blog: http://www.dogswar.ru/stat-o-wow/4009-poslednie-biplany-ss.html?start=2

Offline Skyblazer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2013, 04:46:04 am »
Often overlooked was the OKO-9 project, a cantilever wing monoplane heavy fighter with four M-105 or М-107 engines (depending on the source) arranged in pairs in the front end of the fuselage, with pilot and gunner seated in the middle section. I really wonder what that would have looked like, and I wish I could find a general arrangement of it...

Offline hesham

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2013, 04:57:11 am »
Hi,

the OKO-5 was a military transport version of OKO-1.

Offline Maveric

• Fight for yor Right!
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2013, 05:36:32 am »
Great star and hesham, both new for me...
I see you on the dark side of the moon.

Offline blackkite

• Don't laugh, don't cry, don't even curse, but.....
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2017, 10:45:24 pm »
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 10:48:08 pm by blackkite »