CHAIG Z-7 helicopter

Stingray

Resident retro rainbow rotorhead nerdy girl, uwu
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Appears to be the CHAIG Z-7 heavy transport helicopter project from China.
Looks similar to the Z-8. I tried searching for more info but all I found was this table mentioning it being cancelled...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_aircraft#Helicopters

Attachments

• Chinese Z-7.jpg
    Chinese Z-7.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 550
Sorry for double-post, but I went to the link displayed in the image and couldn't find it anywhere there. Honestly, I think back when I found the pic it was hotlinked on a different site (which is long gone now). :p

here's a magazine article, you can get some information. use google translate. it tells a lot after the formal start of the project.
http://www.fyjs.cn/bbs/read.php?tid=82941

and I take two photos from a helicopter book.

some info not covered in the magazine article, it comes from several books:
1962 Ye Jianying demanded a large helicopter
1966 autumn, aviation institute assigned large helicopter development task to harbin aircraft factory
1967.5 harbin formed proof group and issued technical target: 4500kg cargo, 600km range, hover at 3000m and 30 degrees celsius
then task was transfered to helicopter design institute
1969.3 air force demanded to develope large helicopter, in the same year avation institute decided to found helicopter institute engaged in the large helicopter development task, project code Z-7
1969.9 helicopter institute(not formally established at that time until december, i think) issued a proposal with max takeoff weight 22600kg, but due to no available powerplant, changed to a interim proposal equipted with 2 wozhou-5jia engines. this proposal was approved in 1970.3.20
then go to full-scall development(design - helicopter institute, engine/deduction/transmission - zhuzhou engine institute, manufacture/assemble/test - flight test institute)
two airframes built, full-scale static test completed, task terminated in 1979.6.28

Attachments

• z7_model_graph.jpg
    z7_model_graph.jpg
    604.9 KB · Views: 409
  • z7_3view.jpg
    z7_3view.jpg
    583.1 KB · Views: 369
Finally ... and besides the J-15 pictures this is at least for me the realy most exciting news, since I didn't knew that the Z-7 went his far !! :eek:

http://china-defense.blogspot.com/2010/07/z-7-heavy-helicopter.html

The Z-7 Heavy Helicopter

In 1969 the newly founded Helicopter Design and Research Institute was given the design task of the Z-7 Heavy Helicopter (HH) Project. This new HH's design targets were as follows; maximum takeoff weight 14,000 kg, payload 3,500 kg, maximum speed 240 km/h, maximum range 350 km and service ceiling 6,000m

By May 1975 the manufacturing of 97 percent of Z-7 parts and sub assemblies had been completed, two airframes assembled and 90 percent of vendor-furnished-equipment and components supplied. The full size static test was completed in 1979. The project was terminated in 1979 to focus the limited resource on the Z-8 project.

Deino

Attachments

• Z-7 under construction best.jpg
    Z-7 under construction best.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 89
  • Z-7 under construction 6.jpg
    Z-7 under construction 6.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 57
  • Z-7 under construction 5.jpg
    Z-7 under construction 5.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 59
  • Z-7 under construction 4.jpg
    Z-7 under construction 4.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 55
  • Z-7 under construction 3.jpg
    Z-7 under construction 3.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 50
  • Z-7 under construction 2.jpg
    Z-7 under construction 2.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 267
  • Z-7 under construction 1,.jpg
    Z-7 under construction 1,.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 309
Do you have any info on what power the Z-7's engines would have had?

Another question regards the helicopter's dimensions. In the picture attached to the post which opens this thread the lengths (overall as well as that of the fuselage) cannot be seen; does anybody know more on the dimensions?

Piotr